Etsy

29 May 2012

Build Your Own Garden Boxes

We just moved into a new condo and we are so excited and blessed to have found it! It is wonderful! Well, outside our front door is a patio/porch, and I immediately thought about having a little garden there. I just had to figure out if we could do it. Sure enough, we could. So I measured the porch and figured out how I we could do it. It took a long time to work it out...

I decided on two 3'x2' square boxes. As soon as I told my dad the sizes I wanted he went onto homedepot.com and found the wood that would be best for this. He called me right away and we talked about how and when we would make them. Anyway, my dad went out the next day and got the wood for us. Then we went over to my parent's house and build my garden boxes!! Here is what they looked like with the dirt in them and on our porch!! :)


Do you want to know how we built them? Ok, I will tell you! :) 
It was pretty simple thanks to my handy daddy and hubby. 

Disclaimer: I have to admit that I am kinda new at this tutorial thing.
So suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how I can improve :)

Materials:
-Wood (Common Board #2) (figure out how much by how big you want your boxes)
-Something to cut the wood
-Drill
-Drill Bit
-Screws
-Pencil
-Tape Measure

1. First you need to cut the boards into the sizes you want.
We cut two 4' boards and two 2' boards for one of the boxes sides.



2. Then you need to drill holes in the wood.
In order to keep the wood from splitting from the screws.
We did three, one on each edge and one in the middle.


3. Then you need to screw them together.
In the picture below do you see how the longer pieces of wood are on the inside
and the shorter ones are on the outside? Yep, that's how we did it.


4. Next you need to cut the pieces for the bottom of the box.
We cut four, 2' boards for the bottom. Then placed them on the box for the perfect spacing.
We also drilled holes into these boards to avoid splitting the wood.


Leave a very small gap in between the boards so it can drain.

5. Take a break and give your baby kisses :)
That's what I did throughout the whole process!
I CANNOT resist this little boy!


6. Screw the boards onto the bottom.


7. We then put a thinner piece of wood on the bottom.
We wanted the boxes to be up off the ground so that they could drain.


8. And there you go, that's how you build a garden box.



I hope that makes sense to you! More on the gardening thing later..
Comments are greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment