Etsy

28 June 2013

Sheree's Chili

This is by far the best Chili that I have ever tasted. I finally attempted to make my mother-in-law's chili so that I could freeze it to have after our baby is born. I think I did pretty good, but it's never as good as when we go to their house to eat the chili during the football games!


Sheree's Chili

Soak 2 lbs (about 4 cups) small red kidney beans overnight in 4 quarts water and 2 TB baking soda in a very large stock pot (6 quarts at less). Drain in the morning.

Add more water to cover the beans. Simmer at a low boil for 1 1/2-2 hours. You may need to add more water as it cooks down but not too much.

Then add:
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped (or 2-3 TB dried onion flakes)
2-3 cans tomato sauce
44 oz bottle ketchup
2-3 TB chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
salt and pepper to taste

Then simmer one more hour. If too thick, add more water.

If Freezing: Put in plastic container when cooled and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw and reheat in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment